Before the “Huron County Pioneer Museum” opened in 1951, J.H. Neill, the Museum’s Founder and first Curator, made plans for a travelling museum. He designed these custom trailers to cart his collection around to local fairs and festivals. Unfortunately the trailers were deemed unsafe for road use and were never used. As a result, Mr. Neill required a permanent location for his collection which he found in the recently closed, Goderich Central School – the current home of the Huron County Museum.
Virtual presentations available to groups from across Huron County and beyond!
Huron County Museum & Historic Gaol staff are virtually available to present to your group, event, or organization. Our programs can be tailored to meet the needs of your audience. We are happy to tailor programs to suit the unique needs of your audience. Learn more below about the Guest Speakers, Curator Talks, and Outreach Programs currently all available.
Invite Museum staff to speak with your group across Huron County. A variety of presentations are available. Topics may focus on Museum or Gaol, exhibits, artifact collection, archival collection, current research, or ‘how-to’ subjects.
Talks from Education and Programming Coordinator Daniel Genis
- Reflections: The Life & Work of J.W. (Jack) McLaren
- If These Walls Could Talk: Huron Historic Gaol
- Salt of the Earth: Salt Mining in Huron County
- Huron County and the Two World Wars
Talks from Acting Senior Curator Sinead Cox
- Our Oldest Inmates: Senior Prisoners in the Huron Gaol
- Jailbreak!: Strange and Thrilling Escapes from the Huron Gaol
- Death Sentence: What life & death were like for the inmates and staff at the Huron Gaol
- Hot off the Press: Behind the headlines for the scoop on Huron’s weekly newspapers
- Stories of Immigration & Migration: Family Migration Stories to Huron County
- Old News is Good News: How to search in Huron’s digitized newspapers
- Huron’s Untold HIstories:Searching for Grey Township’s Black Pioneers
Talks from our Registrar Patti Lamb
- Documenting Your Family Treasures
- Cataloguing Your Collection